Friday, September 6, 2013

Fast and easy spaghetti sauce for two!



Cheap and under 200 calories!

Like many other people, I've purchased the ready made bottles of spaghetti sauce like Prego and Ragu which taste great! But, since I live alone, I always end up placing that expensive leftover sauce in the fridge only to throw it out some time later. A real waste, in my opinion.

Nowadays I've licked that problem by making my own sauce (enough for two) on the fly with little, if any, fuss or muss. Here are the ingredients:

Could maybe use some sliced mushrooms
8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 tbsp onion, minced
1 tbsp bell pepper, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp dried basil
1 tsp olive oil
3 tbsp white wine

I make this by heating a small frying pan over medium heat, adding the oil and then the onions, peppers and garlic. I allow this to cook for a few minutes until the onion is just translucent. Next, I add in the tomato sauce and the herbs. The wine is added to just dilute the sauce a bit and the the sauce is reduced to the proper consistency (about ten minutes). VoilĂ ! You have a perfectly great tasting sauce that cost just a few cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment