In general, cooking a roast is pretty much a no brainer. You sear it over medium high heat in a frying pan to brown it and then you dump it into a Dutch oven along with some carrots and potatoes with just a little bit of water and wine and then throw it into an over set to 350 for about two hours. No big deal….
After doing some searching I came across this recipe and instructions:
- 2-3 lb beef roast of your choice
- olive oil
- 2 carrots, cut into pieces
- 2 Russet potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary
- 1 can beef stock
- 2 cans hot water
- Brown roast in a pan with a little bit of oil over medium-high heat.
- Layer half of the carrots, garlic and all of the onion on the bottom of crock pot
- Top with browned roast
- Arrange the rest of the carrots, garlic and potatoes on top of roast
- Mix beef base in the hot water, pour over roast and veggies
- Cover crock pot tightly, set on high
- Cook for six to eight hours, meat will be very tender,
falling apart and veggies cooked through
The end result was pure ambrosia! The roast came apart using just my fork! And, with a little bit of Horseradish I was in pot roast heaven!