Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Chicken pot pies. Good or bad?

 


Ever since I can remember, I've eat the venerable chicken pot pies from either Swanson or Marie Calendar. These easy to fix meals are a snap to prepare, hot and very filling. they're often my fist choice when shopping the frozen dinner isle at about $1.30. But, are they all that good for you to eat on a regular basis?

Here's both of these meals from a nutritional standpoint;

From most standpoints, both pies are very similar, and so both share some troubling statistics. The worst, in my opinion, is the salt content followed quickly by the saturated fats. This is a combo that can be tolerated by the young, but which can do a real number on older folks who might need to watch both intakes...

From a taste standpoint, I'd give a nod to the Swanson product over the offering from Marie Calendar. From a strictly health standpoint I'd treat them the same way I treat most McDonald's food - eat just every so often!


No comments:

Post a Comment