Thursday, December 29, 2011

Betty's Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes!



I've always had a soft spot for scalloped potatoes. The 'soft spot' is actually my stomach! (It keeps getting softer and bigger with every helping). That aside, I thought I would do a quick critique on Betty Crocker's Cheesy Scalloped potato dish that's ready in just twenty minutes!

I picked up this boxed product at the local grocery on a whim. The last time I'd eaten scalloped potatoes was over a year ago on Thanksgiving. At that time, I had made this dish from scratch to take over to a neighbors as part of a large layout of food. I seem to remember that it was quickly consumed.

This time, however, I wanted to just grab a box and cook it up in what? Only twenty minutes! Wow! (Is that like a selling point)? I was also advised on the box that I would be enjoying '100% real shin-on potatoes'! (Was there a possibility that I was going to get a substitute)? Not sure. As to the term 'skin on'! Hey, Skin on or shin off, it's no skin off my bloated nose!

Looking at the directions, I also noticed another item in the 'preparation section' that slightly bothered me. They call for 2 and ¼ cup of boiling water. Why that measly fourth of a cup? Why not adjust the ingredients slightly to allow this to be a man-sized half a cup. Another mystery of life to which I am not privy. Anyway, this is a pretty simple deal to throw together. Once it gets into a preheated oven, the timer gets sets for the twenty minutes or until done. Whichever comes first.

Even though this box cost me $1.75, and so, was quite a bit more expensive than the generic options sitting nearby. I still elected to grab for Betty, as I have become very aware that you get exactly what you pay for. Don't believe me? Then move over a couple of isles and try one of the Hormel 'Compleats' meals. That stuff costs just a buck and it's pure crap (in my modest opinion)!

As expected, this side came out and tasted near perfect! Be careful though as these taters pack a powerful calorie punch per miniscule serving! But, if you're careful you can have a nice meal like the one pictured above that comes in at 130 calories!


No comments:

Post a Comment