Sunday, May 13, 2012

Critique: Van Camp’s ‘Pork n Beans’ with a wiener!



So, what’s with this? The times have gotten so slow, I’m now doing critiques on canned goods? Well, yes I am!

You see, I’ve always had a soft spot for this bean dish ever since I was a child. Some winters, when it got cold outside, my Mom would place a hot bowl of Van Camps Pork N Beans in front of me and I can still remember the great aroma. Yeah, pork and beans, a slice of toast and some milk…those times were good.

Today, in 2012, I still like this stuff both from a standpoint of good taste and nutrition. This mix of beans, tomato sauce and pork is loaded with fiber. It also contains a goodly amount of iron and zinc! Half a cup yields only about 124 calories, so when used as a side as shown here; it’s not exactly a diet buster. But, here’s the deal that makes this side dish into a real meal…of sorts. An all beef wiener and a side of green beans with milk! With those additions you’ve escalated everything up to about 400 calories! That’s a diet friendly number while providing everyone with a great tasting meal.

Currently, you can purchase a 15 ounce can for under a buck. I think I paid .69 cents. This is still a good bargain all around that provides high caliber protein along with much needed fiber. I give Pork n Beans a score of 8!

No comments:

Post a Comment