Sunday, July 15, 2012

Critique: Lean Cuisine Glazed Chicken!



Seeing as this TV meal deal was a ‘Chef’s Pick’, I just had to avail myself of the opportunity to purchase one. At $2.50 for a 240 gram meal which yields only 240 calories or about a calories per gram, I thought it just might live up to the company logo. (by way of contrast, potato chips yield close to 5 calories a gram).I felt if I could make this the major part of a dinner, I could get myself back on track to losing some weight!

At first glance, I found the concept of a glazed chicken somewhat distasteful. Glazed, in the manner of which they are speaking, generally refers to some sort of sweet marmalade that covers the meat.  In this case, they are referring to a ‘savory lemon tarragon sauce’ which doesn’t sound too bad. Also, as I looked at the package cover, I’m guessing those little green sprigs were supposed to represent the tarragon. Rounding out this presentation, we have white rice, green beans and cashew chips.  (Sounded absolutely yummy to me). So, onwards to the preparation.

Assuming you have a microwave (you do have a microwave don’t you?), the directions are as simple as can be; take the meal out of its box, throw it into the microwave and nuke it for 5 ½ minutes on high. (Something even I couldn’t screw up)! After the dinger dinged, I removed the meal, sat it in front of me and stripped off the plastic cover and prepared to eat.

This meal made by Nestlé (you know - the chocolate milk people) tasted only so-so. Frankly, I was disappointed by the experience. The chicken was chewy and the rice tasted undercooked. Overall, I gave this meal a sad score of 6 on a scale of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment