Monday, January 13, 2014

Is River Run Park in Federal disarray?

One side open and the other closed! Why??
As a long time resident of Forsyth and one who happens to live adjacent to River Run Park, I could not help but note the rather odd behavior I've observed lately by the folks that run that piece of Federal land. Back in late December I was returning home from a shopping trip and took Baker street through the park to be to my home. As I came out of the park, I noticed a government vehicle ahead of me with a man who was locking one of two gates that allow entrance this 'Public Use' area that is
Why were these canopies removed?
very popular among area residents. When I stopped and asked why the park was being locked, I was informed that a 'ten foot wall of water' was expected any time due to forecast storms that were expected to hit the area. The gentleman was kind enough to let me proceed past the gate which was then locked. A day later the rains did come and the Bull Shoal water level barely rose and inch or two....

What will be the cost to taxpayers?
In addition to locking the park, a crew also removed all the canopies that cover the picnic tables all the Bull Shoals river way. Why? I don't know, other than the fact that I'm sure that the cost of that operation came out of taxpayers pockets. It's now early January and those canopies are still scattered here and there on the ground to no apparent purpose.

As of this writing, interestingly, one gate is now unlocked while gate guarding the entrance to the entrance of Highway 76 remains closed. So, in effect, you are allowed access to the park but not the ability to drive through the park from the Valley View Village complex to the main highway. All very perplexing to a simple person such as myself. [Editorial published in Taney Times News on Jan 15, 2014]

Followup: Interestingly, the day after this article was published in the paper, the Hwy 76 gate was re-opened.... As I drove through the park, I noticed two couples walking their dogs. Nice to see that again!

Here is the single response I rec'd from an email I sent the Corps of Engineers asking why the park had been closed:

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It was closed, but it is back open now.
 Have a nice day!

Carrie Lamb/Ranger
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Mountain Home Project Office
324 W. 7th Street
Mountain Home, AR 72653
Phone: 870-425-2700 Ext 1400
Fax: 870-425-3795
Email: mailto:carrie.l.lamb@usace.army.mil

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I think that about sums up their attitude. No explanation, just take it or lump it.

No comments:

Post a Comment