Thursday, February 27, 2014

Homemade soup versus the canned stuff!

While shopping for groceries, recently, I happened across a couple of cans of Campbell's Vegetable Beef Soup and threw them into my cart without a thought. Later, aster I got home, I discovered that each ten ounce can cost $1.85! I was astounded. The last time I remember buying a canned soup, the cost was $1.09 and I though that was expensive.

So, what does $1.85 buy you? Well, a serving, according to the label is ½ a cup! Pictured here is that serving... pretty small. Each can will supply your growing family 2 ½ of these 'servings' with the cost per serving at about $.75. That doesn't seem like such a good deal to me!

For what it would cost to run to the store and buy a can, you could use veggies you had on hand to make a hearty homemade version of this, but for just pennies a serving. In addition, whereas a single canned soup like this has over 900 mg of salt, you can serve your family less than half that by making it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment