Saturday, August 23, 2014

Drying hot peppers for use later in the year!

This time of year, when it's broiling hot outside, I like to harvest a crop of hot peppers to dry and then use over the coming fall and winter months. This year, I've had a good crop of Habanero's! And while these peppers are often found near the top of the Scoville Heat Index, I've found that once dried and then used in cooked dishes like chili, they tend to become a lot tamer in the heat department. Generally, they add just the right amount of bite if used sparingly. Say, about a half a teaspoon in an average pot of chili.

I also like to add some heat to my beef stir fry dishes, something I've written about quite often! (A good stir fry breakfast is all I need to make for a good start)! These dishes also allow for a great deal of creativity in terms of the ingredients. I've thrown in all sorts of veggies, including broccoli, tomatoes, bell pepper, onions and just about anything else that was laying around at the time! In addition, you can lay this type of preparation on a bed of pasta noodles or rice to really kick things up! Of course, you also have to watch out for those mean old calories. They will get ya every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment