Friday, October 14, 2011

Mystery antique cast iron skillet


This is a very old cast iron skillet with lid that belonged to my grandmother and which I think is at least 100 years old. It weighs in at 11.2 pounds! The closest I could find on the internet was a Wagner #9 extra deep skillet that the seller was asking over $200 for. This skillet had markings that clearly identified it for what it is. My piece does not have any discernible marking other than a 1+ on the inside of the lid. Any marking that might have been on the bottom have worn away. I would love to hear from anyone who might have an idea as to its make and year of manufacture.

3 comments:

  1. I inherited the exact same type of skillet - deep and with a cast iron lid with that same pattern on the inside. Zero brand on it anywhere. My husband has done some reading about vintage cast iron cookware and it was common for well known brands to also make their product without a stamp of any kind and those were sold through catalogues like Montgomery Ward or Sears, etc (back in the day). So, I'm still poking around the internet for more information. The one I have is easily 90 to 100+ years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What info did you find on this? I just purchased on like it and beginning research

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look under the handle. We have exact same thing. Ours has a "T" stamped into the under side of the handle close to the hole.
    Not sure of the manufacturer ours is either. A customer of mine gave it to me years ago before he passed. He mentioned it was his grandmother's.

    Its one of my wife's favorite pans to use. It's a heavy little bugger when you carry it with the lid on.

    Anybody have any clue to the identity of the manufacturer and the time frame it was produced? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete