Sunday, October 9, 2011

That's a spicy spaghetti sauce!


After making my own spaghetti sauce for some time now, I’ve learned a thing or two during that time. Perhaps the most important one was not to try and re-invent the flavor wheel! The folks at McCormick have spent a lot of money and time to come up with a series of spaghetti packaged mixes that hit home every time! Sure the cans and jars (Prego) of sauce you can buy at the store are pretty good, but for a fuller bodied sauce, I prefer to use a mix and my own ‘special ingredients’. Here’s my recipe:

1 pkg. McCormick Thick & Zesty Spaghetti Sauce
1 ¾ cups tap water
6 oz can Hunts tomato paste
4 oz can mushroom bits & pieces, drained
½ lb of ground beef, browned & drained
2 tbsp. of dried or fresh basil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. dried oregano

That’s it! Just follow the package directions, mix in the meat and herbs and in twenty minutes or so you have one of the best tasting sauces on the market. The mushrooms, basil and oregano will give this sauce a really unique and I hope, pleasing taste.Note: The olives were a last minute addition for color, but they tasted great on this sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment