Monday, July 17, 2017

Dirty Rice!


On a whim and also partly based on the recommendation of a friend. I picked up a box that was labeled 'Creole Dirty Rice Dinner Mix'. My friend had positively gushed about the wonderful mix of ground beef, onion, bell peppers and white rice. I figured 'what the heck, it couldn't kill me'~!

The next day I decided to throw the meal together. All that was involved was browning a pound of ground beef, draining off the fat and them adding the package contents along with 2 ¼ cups of water to a large skillet. I then stirred it all up, placed a cover on the skillet and then simmered the entire meal-a- deal for about 25 minutes.

 After sitting down to a rather excellent meal, I noticed that perhaps my supposed 'friend' had it in for me, as I took stock of the nutritional content.... This was definitely not a meal for the faint of heart! 


I noted that a 136 gram (4 ounce) meal wasn't really all that much in volume, but whoa boy, it sure packed quite a wallop in areas that I tended to shy away from. That 960 plus milligrams of salt, for instance, was way over the top in my opinion. In addition the saturated fat and cholesterol contents were way high for a older man such as myself who's trying to avoid cardiac collapse... That said, the meal as really tasty and so next time, I plan to cut the portion down in half and then maybe sub in a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment