Sunday, June 26, 2011

Biking those pounds away!

A good title for this picture would be; ‘After I lose twenty more pounds, I bet I’ll make it past that next driveway’!

Seriously, losing weight is a huge pain. Losing weight after sixty is an even bigger pain, and yes most of it is on my ass! (I’m a big ass in real life too). If rear tires could scream, I’d be deaf now. But, I refuse to go to the heavy man’s bike complete with the reinforced steel tires. This Sedona DX made by Giant will just have to suffer right along with me as the pounds slowly drip off.

Having stated all that, I am pleased with my progress after just a few outings. When I began, I made it as far as the red line before going back in shame. This was augmented by the neighbors who watched me and then began placing bets on how long I had left to live. Last time I asked the odds were not very good.

After just a few days, however, I was able to make it around the block as denoted by the green line. And it was not just once either! I found out that muscles seem to have a memory concerning their role in life and de-atrophy pretty quickly. After just one week, I am now motor around the larger course of .7 of a mile on a daily basis. At this time, I still have to dismount at one small point (yellow line) where the grade becomes pretty steep. My hope is that after another week or so, I will be able to make the entire trip in the saddle so to speak. The great thing about bicycling is that no matter where you go, the trip is evenly divided between uphill and downhill segments. It’s those downhill times that are fun as all my weight allows me to really fly!

As is my habit, I’ll try and follow up this blog from time to time with a progress report.

No comments:

Post a Comment