Friday, May 13, 2011

Random thoughts about hot issues in May!

Ron Paul launches 2012 presidential run!

Ron Paul is set to try and become president for the third time. Let’s hope that will be a charm for him. This seventy five year old congressman from the great state of Texas is widely known for his desire to severely limit the reach of the federal government. The man known as "Dr. No" for his enthusiasm for bashing runaway spending and government overreach certainly has my vote. The time is way past to make an accounting of government corruption and overspending. While I do not fully endorse either party, I do endorse this man.

It’s grilling time and that’s just fine with me!

Down here in southwest Missouri the weather is heating up. Woo Woo! It’s mid May and summer is now just a month away. That means outdoor activities will be on the upswing as the weather warms (and maybe gets a bit drier). My personal focus, this time of year, usually centers on the charcoal grill and some of the great food that will come off it.


One of my absolute favs is barbecued chicken legs. There nothing quite like the smell and taste of freshly grilled chicken in the summertime. (Give me a piece of good chicken, a baked potato and a garden salad and I’m ready for anything)! When I’m not doing the leg thing, I’m into shish kabobs using fresh fruit, veggies and chicken of course!

Only a decade or so ago, chicken was considered a very economical meat to eat.  I can remember buying who fryers for just twenty nine cents a pound. (Today, the cost is closer to $1.50 or more! That being the case, I now look for ways to ‘stretch the meat’ and save a little on cost. I accomplish that in two ways; I wait for bulk chicken to go on sale and I limit my intake of chicken by adding more veggies. (Something that’s also a lot healthier for me in the long run).

Global warming or global cooling. Which is it Al?

Someone go out and dig up Al Gore please. I need to ask him to go and get his charts so he can explain the recent wacky weather events here in the US. Al baby, tell me again that things really are going to hell in a hand basket. (It’s not like I didn’t already know, I just want to hear him say it again).

What’s been happening in my mind is not so much the weather trends as it seems to be the weather extremes. First, we have a national drought that lasts for much of 2010, and then we get way too much water early in 2011. Yet, I’ll wager the average rainfall, by the end of the year, will be close to normal! (Can’t someone call Mother Nature and tell her to ‘spread it out a bit more’)?

No comments:

Post a Comment