Friday, March 1, 2013

Sequestration: Day 1!

Gee Andy. It's awful quiet today!

Sequestration Day 1. Promptly, at 5 AM, I bounded from my bed almost like a kid on Christmas Day! You see, I was so excited to get up and get out to observe the chaos my President had promised on this, the first day of massive federal cuts!

After getting a quick shower and shave, I elected to dress into something drab and gray. No sense in drawing any attention to myself, I reasoned. I was sure that there would be rioting mobs on the main streets of my small town as many found themselves suddenly rendered unemployed by the mindless slashing of budgets everywhere. For sure, I reasoned, there would be angry crowds at the various government offices scattered around town. And I was also pretty sure that there would be unsettled knots of unhappy teachers perhaps with signs marching around the local school. So much for me to see and do and so little time to get it done…

You can imagine my surprise when a drive through town proved totally uneventful. Even the grocery store was pretty much business as usual for a Friday morning. I didn’t know what to think. After all the unpleasant things that the President had implied would happen, I was sure at least one group of angry citizenry would be out and about! Even a trip over by the courthouse proved disappointing after I observed some officers talking quietly next to a squad car. Hmmm.

Well, the President did say that it might take a while for the coming disaster to be felt. I’ll come back in a few days, to check and find out…

No comments:

Post a Comment