Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Big Mac and fries! So bad, they're good!

Never mind the fact that eating too many Big Macs will turn you into one. Never mind that those French fries will quickly turn your legs into slabs of cottage cheese. The sad truth is that all that greasy fat is oh so desirable to us poor humans! And, while I severely limit my trips to the Double Arches to just once or so a week, I'm pretty certain I will never totally get off the habit of chowing down on them. (Fast food, like the lead in the pipes of ancient Rome may yet be the downfall of mankind).

Calorie-wise, a Big Mac and a medium order of French fries will slam a person's body with 550 and 380 calories respectively. That adds up to 930 calories in just the one sitting! So, if you are making this an item to eat on any given day, just make sure to have a salad or two to help balance everything out. Ideally, an average person should not consume more than 2,500 calories in a given day. I say average, because those of us who are very active can pump that figure up quite a bit! (I've heard of some arctic explorers who need to eat at least 6,000 calories a day just to stay alive)!

The original McDonald's hamburger at 250 calories
My biggest complaint about this popular combination is the high price. At my local McDonald's, this pair cost me a total of $6.15 with no beverage. This is a far cry from the original fifteen cent hamburger that was sold when I was growing up in the late fifties! Oh, yeah and those French fries cost you only a thin dime back then! Now, I understand that if the minimum wage goes up, so will the cost of eating these for consumers. This brings a question to my mind... at what point will I have to give up the habit? Perhaps it's time we went back to the smaller, cheaper and more nutritious fare...

No comments:

Post a Comment