Sunday, March 8, 2015

The infamous DanO Burger revisited!


Making a great tasting hamburger is both a science and an art! The quintessential ingredients are just two; a good hamburger bun and awesome ground beef. But, it is the add-ons and the condiments that can make or break the entire eating experience! That in mind, let's break down this bad boy...

Buns
Buying a cheap bun will put the kabash on the whole burger deal early on. The ideal soft burger bun should be pillowy, squishy, and tender, with a tight but soft crumb and a distinct sweetness. It should hold up nicely to the burger's juices, but also should never be tough or cottony in texture. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you don't want a burger that disintegrates half way through your meal. I personally prefer the offerings from folks like Pepperidge Farm! I had to settle for Ball Park buns which are all I could find at the Country Mart store where I live.. (Good enough for the masses, but I can guarantee these are never found in Hilliary's pantry). Add a bit of butter and quickly grill on a hot plate just before serving!

Ground Beef

For heavens sake, don't buy low fat burger meats – a good juicy hamburger uses a beef blend of at least an 80/20 lean to fat ratio. In my case, I like to order the best meat I can afford. I personally like the Angus burgers offered at Schwan's. They are fully cooked, fire-grilled burgers with select seasonings and a fresh grilled taste that you can nuke in the microwave! Awesome.

Add-ons

OK, here is an area where I sometimes like to go a little wild especially after drinking beer! – But, a true DanO burger keeps it simple and stupid. I only add a generous slice of white or red onion, romaine lettuce, thinly sliced dill pickles for added crunch and a fresh tomato! (Note that I said fresh, not hothouse). While I like cheese, I don't use it on this creation.

Condiments

The real coup d'etat for any hamburger creation centers around what types of condiments you decide to slather on your bun just before eating. In my case, that would be four; ketchup, mayo, mustard and just a bit of horseradish. This combination provides a mouthwatering mix that is tangy with just the hint of a bite. 

Nutrition and cost

A DanO Burger comes in at about 500 plus calories, so it's a meal unto itself.  In this prep, I was forced to do with out the tomato and used pickle relish instead of the sliced dills I really prefer. Still in a war, you dive for the nearest foxhole...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment