Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I'm enjoying a pork chop meal amid all the cancer controversy!

Each serving was about 2 1/2 ounces!
With all the controversy currently swirling around a new study that was referred to in The Guardian and which was entitled 'Diets high in meat, eggs and dairy could be as harmful to health as smoking', I was not sure what to do about eating meats like pork! Now true, while the study did find that for people up to the age of 64-65, that eating a diet high in meat protein was akin to smoking in terms of the risks! It all mentioned that for those over that age, the risks actually became much lower! Interesting.

Well, the truth be told – I do like eating meat and, as they say, 'that is that'! In my defense, I also have a salad with most of my meals (including breakfast) and maybe that's helped me over the long run. Pork or the 'other white meat' as it is called contains much less fat that does a juicy steak. I think the recommended portion of protein for men is about 54 grams per day or about 2 ounces and the portion pictured here was pretty close to that amount. In addition, rather that consuming a whole Russet potato, I generally eat only half. That helps hold down the carbohydrate load considerably. The organic sauerkraut brings some probiotics to the party and the small romaine salad,  maybe a bit of roughage and fiber! (Special thanks to CherylAnn Corcione who likes to share nutritionally related articles via FB and who also markets the Tower Garden).

So, overall, a fairly well balanced meal deal – for a meat eater that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment