Thursday, July 5, 2012

Living under a Dome of Heat!



Eleven very hot days - Thank God for the AC!
After eleven days of 100 degree plus heat and little to no rain, my carefully manicured lawn has transformed itself into Death Valley. And those raised beds I was so proud of? All those great vegetables! Forget about it. This heat wave from Hell put the kibosh on all that!

Dormant or Dead?
Now, my days are spent mostly indoors (especially after mid morning when it begins to get really hot). Lately, I’ve been trying to get up extra early so I can go outside and take a walk and water what’s left of my parched garden. A few pepper plants and a lone tomato vine are still hanging in there. Everything else, including the romaine lettuce, cucumbers and beans have all long since given up the ghost.(Maybe this fall I can try again)....

The Weather Service informs  me that ‘we all need to just sit tight and get used to it. This is what you get for messing with Mother Nature', they say, and stress that worst times could be ahead. Huh! I sure don’t like the sound of that!  Here it is just the start of July and there’s a whole summer stretched out before me. Ya mean I gotta plan on spending all of it indoors? No way José!

There is some relief coming, however. On or around day 14, a blessed cool front is forecast to move through southwest Missouri. With it comes the chance of rainfall (only a chance?). Personally, I'm hoping for a real 'frog strangler' rain, but I'll settle for whatever God's deems fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment