Wednesday, December 21, 2011

At restaurants, it’s the appearance of the staff that helps sell the meals!



I can say without hesitation that while a restaurant might put out great shrimp scampi or a dynamite hamburger, it's how the serving staff looks that really seals the deal in my book. And, that goes double for the cooking staff as they are the last ones to touch my food before I consume it.

Here in Forsyth Missouri, a small southwestern town that supports nine fast food and sit down emporiums, I’ve seen the entire range of what I consider to be acceptable and what I do not. There seems to be two schools of thought as to what is considered acceptable. Some establishments enforce nice logo-ed uniforms with black pants while others have employees wear just a t-shirt with the restaurants name on it. These places are pretty nice to eat at. Other eateries, however, don’t seem to want to bother with any form of dress code. The cooking staff at these locations are often completely disregarded. I’ve seen cooks working in kitchens that looked like they just got out of bed after working in a field all day. They’re unshaven and their clothes look like they need a good washing. When I see employees like this, I can’t help but wonder what’s happening to my food as they prepare it. I mean is anything noxious flaking off these folks? I don’t know. But, I do know I won't plan on eating there again.

Locations that properly outfit their staff need not spend a lot of money to do so. A pressed shirt and clean pants are all I’m looking for. The way in which people look while at a jobs speaks tons for how they and the establishment feel about their customers. Does that make sense? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment