Thursday, January 14, 2016

Critique: Ragu spaghetti sauce!



In past times, I've pretty much thrown together my own home brew sauce to throw over pasta. I had abandoned the store sauces, for the most part, due to their bad taste of objectionable amounts of sodium. And, then I tried Ragu!


After inspecting the label for the presence of any strange sounding chemicals, (there were none), I recently picked up a small 14 ounce glass jar that cost me a little over two dollars and took it home to try. One of the oddities I noticed as I prepared to open the jar was the advice they have printed on top which states 'Shake before opening'. I could not, for the life of me, figure out why you would want to do that and so I contacted Ragu via the net with an inquiry (I'll post their response in an update). While visiting their site at www.ragu.com, I noted that the company got its start back in 1914 when an immigrant by the name of Assunta Cantisano came to New York, planted a backyard garden and began brewing her own sauce that she sold from her front porch to neighbors in 1937, during the height of the Depression. [Please note that the company she started, RagĂș Packing Company, could not have gotten started in the 21st Century due to intense over regulation].

From a strictly nutritional standpoint, the serving size of half a cup (125 grams), yielded only 80 calories! Not too shabby. In addition, the sodium content of that serving was a modest 480 milligrams! [Note that this is considered modest for a 'processed food']. So, Ragu's Old World Style is low carbohydrate 94%), low sodium (20%) and has lots of vitamin A and C. So, what's not to like?

As to the taste? No complaints from me! When I've used this product, I often like to add in a little browned hamburger and canned mushrooms – ingredients that help make the eating experience truly enjoyable. I would highly recommend this product to everyone and plan to stock it on my shelf.

Side note: Ragu is available in all sorts of 'flavors' and can be purchased over the net. I noticed that Amazon carries the full line, and since I'm a Prime Member and I can get this product shipped free of charge via two day air, I plan to order their 'marinara' version as my local store does not offer it.

Response from Ragu: 'Thank you for contacting us regarding Ragu Old World Style Traditional Sauce!
Shaking our sauce is not required but, as with any liquid or semi-liquid food product, a good shake will always help ensure even distribution of the sauce ingredients and optimal enjoyment.
Thank you so much for your interest in our brand!
Sincerely,

Ragu Consumer Services'

No comments:

Post a Comment