Monday, February 27, 2012

Critique: Michelina’s Stroganoff Sauce with Beef and Pasta!



Just for a change of pace, here’s a TV entrée I’ve actually been looking to enjoy! Beef Stroganoff is one of only nine foods that I could easily eat every day for the rest of my life (it if weren’t so darn fattening). Something that good and that filling, has just got to be truly horrible when it comes to nutrition. (God, in his infinite wisdom, made the universe work that way just to piss us males off). So, it was with no little trepidation that I purchased this entree for the paltry fee of $1.39 USD!

Now before even getting to the directions or the scoring or anything else, I want to cover the nutritional panel. For should things go sideways, I felt it would start there! First off, you’re getting about a cup of product for your money. That’s 8 ounces at $1.39 or about 17 cents per ounce. Not all that bad for a frozen product. Next, eating said product will dump about 300 calories into my body. Once again, I can live with that figure just so long as I make sure any side dishes are low calorie vegetables or perhaps a tossed salad. Surprisingly even the cholesterol at 25 mg was OK and the sodium at 700 mg was one of the lowest I’ve seen for an entrée of this size! Well, I’ll be horn-swaggled and stomped on like a frog! If this meal passes the taste test, then I’m a true believer in all things Michelina!

Preparation is a snap – You lift a corner to vent – nuke it for 2 ½ minutes on high – open and still the contents – recover and re-nuke for about another minute! Wham bam, thank you ma’am! For this test, I decided to go with some boiled Brussels sprouts and a small carrot. The veggies came to about 80 calories for a total of 380. Now for the scoring:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appearance:     6         Not as appetizing as I had hoped for!
Smell:               6          Decent aroma, but still with that TV made after burner smell.
Texture:            7          The noodles were al dente and tasty!
Taste:               7          Not a slam dunk! Just OK to somewhat good is about all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Average:            6.5      A good dish to have as a back up to the real thing!



For the money, this is a fair bet. Still, if you’ve ever had real stroganoff made from scratch you’d realize this meal was an insult. Also, it could use more salt!

Disclaimer: All content in this post is the sole opinion of the author and may or may not reflect that of other readers.

4 comments:

  1. The smell was horrendous! I finally got the nerve to taste a noodle. The noodle didn't have much of any flavor. I tasted a bit of meat that looked like freeze dried shoe laces and it didn't gag me but it wasn't good either. I don't eat food that isn't great tasting so I threw the entire package out. The smell said it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smell was horrendous! I finally got the nerve to taste a noodle. The noodle didn't have much of any flavor. I tasted a bit of meat that looked like freeze dried shoe laces and it didn't gag me but it wasn't good either. I don't eat food that isn't great tasting so I threw the entire package out. The smell said it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stuff literally made me vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eat that disgusting shit and literally vomited 3 hour later

    ReplyDelete