Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Surviving a McDonald’s add-on meal deal!


OK, so you’re on a diet, and possibly the very last place you need to be parking your thunder-thighs would be anyplace that had the word ‘Mac’ in it. But, hey, this is a real world and you are a real person! Someone who has been making an honest effort to walk the diet walk and talk the diet talk. So what if you take a dive off the wagon from time you time. You’re only human, right!

So, I arrive in customary style at the McDonald’s Drive-in grill thingy that you talk to in order to get food. As I pull up, I’m greeted with what surely sounds like a 15 year old boy with greasy pimples thanking me for choosing the Big D – then almost with out pausing for a breath the grill asks me if I would like to have a Big Mac fry meal a ding dong. And wait! If I order right now, I can get a SECOND BIG MAC for just twenty nine cents!

I answer, ‘No’, in my politest and nicest voice. Just one thunder thigh Mac, some fries and a diet coke would be quite sufficient. Oh, and I do so want some ketchups to go with the fries, please kind youngster with acne. On the electronic screen I immediately see:

1 MED DIET COKE…………………$1.49
5 KETCHUP PACKET………………$0.00
1 BIG MAC MEAL…………………..$4.10
1 BIG MAC…………………………..$0.29

TOTAL WITH TAX………………….$6.36

What! Looks like I’m getting that extra Big Mac whether I want it or not! F-it, I thought and pulled on ahead. Later, when I go my meal a deal home, I had second thoughts!

First of all, I’m on a diet and life if hard enough without this kind of temptational crap being thrown in my face! Second, if I elected to eat it later (which I did), I wondered how it was going to survive spending overnight in the fridge. I mean can you re-heat these things? Will they taste anything like the original when I do? Or, more likely, will they taste like reheated dog dodo??  Well, I was going to find out. And, in the spirit of the occasion, I also ate only half my fires. The other half went into the fridge to keep the ‘Big Mistake’ some company.

Honestly, though, what gives with this add-on shit? Even supposing I have a cheap friend in the car with me, won’t that friend still have to also order a fry and a coke to go with that thirty cent burger? And, if they do, won’t the extra coke and fry be a lot more expensive than when you order them as a meal? Huh? What the F! And where, exactly does McDumald’s get off making my choices for me? Honestly, I felt as though I was dealing with an Obama reincarnate here!

[The Next Day]

As I sat down to eat my ‘bonus’ hamburger and fries after nuking them in the microwave, I had occasion to think about how McDonald’s was very much like the Healthcare plan that was being rammed down America’s throat. They both force you to buy poor quality stuff you don’t really want at inflated prices. And, at the end of the day, you’re stuck with a bad taste in your mouth and a fast tummy! The moral of this story? Take a guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment